Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Stop-motion Videos and First Project Notes:

The other day we watched some really amazing stop motion videos. Some clearly showed the medium they chose of stop motion while others were so fluid that it was kinda difficult to tell that they were made in that fashion. The work and time investment to create each video must have been an enormous amount and it kind of made me nervous bout how long of a process it would be to achieve the minute requirement for the first project. Even though Victoria said it isn't as difficult and you can repeat parts, it still concerns me on how am I going to be able to accomplish it all within the time constraints given.

The different approaches shown in videos helped to illustrate the different ways to approach stop motion, we saw people used, clay figures, and drawings. As of now I am still not sure what route of those three or others that I am going to take. William Kentridge's "Automatic Writing" impressed me the most on just sheer time investment that each drawing took and the addition of music was effective.

Limited without music seemed as if it was a dilemma that could not easily be overcome, however after seeing the clay stop motion creating the human form, it did not see overtly necessary as I previously thought sound would be. I think I will look int some of the silent films where they expressed emotions and reactions very overtly to help with getting the point across. Then again I do not yet have a point or direction and have a couple tentative ideas on what I want to convey but no subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment