Monday, February 8, 2010

The Birth of Fluxus

This article had some confusing elements to it especially if you know little about the art world in general. I felt at times that this piece would be better suited to have been read after a short introduction into some Fluxus artist and ideas since it references some already. But the first thing that I really didn't understand was the reference to Greek philosophy where you cant cross a river twice. Which I understand the idea I guess about it but still doesn't make too much sense to me. At least in my common sense way that I was reading this whole article.

I strongly disagree where it talked about how fax is transforming the way we send and receive messages the most. I say the Internet and all that encompasses does a lot more than the little fax could and does. The reference to the historical point at which Fluxus begins at the end of the Elizabethan age is perplexing since that age ended by the American and definitely the French revolution so from an actual historical perspective that is incorrect but maybe what the authors' limited knowledge of history it seems correct to them.

Even though the author makes an attempt at differentiating the difference between Dada and Fluxus I still see a lot of overlapping in the two, maybe some actual examples would help to differentiate the two. Fluxus talks about globalism, unity of art and life and inter media, experitemantalism etc. The globalism in Fluxus is slightly different then contemporary ideas of it in the sense that we all are on one Earth and nature and culture do not reflect political boundaries. Which is all good and true to an extent.

Part of the Fluxus idea is to break the rules of cultural traditions, which again is all good and dandy but why not try something harder stay in the box and do something that makes the box vibrate so much that it demands its own attention? The implying other works of art in Fluxus is something I try to do, well in any art your reference other pieces inherently in what influenced you to create something.

I would love to experience one Fluxus or multiples where they last for days on end, experiementing with time interests me a lot to a degree and I always have wanted to do something where a piece is constantly evolving and changing depending on the viewer and find those peices the most cleaver. Fluxus named itself, well if someone wanted to name their own group I feel they could if they wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment